As a cultural mediator, you will act as a communications facilitator between Médecins Sans Frontières medical staff and beneficiaries. The work you do will improve fair and equal access to health care and other relevant services and their quality by addressing potential negative consequences of language barriers, socio-cultural differences, discrimination and tensions, and by fostering their removal.
You will work alongside our medical teams to ensure that those most at risk receive medical care in a language that they understand and in a manner that is culturally sensitive. You may be involved in health promotion and training activities as well as clinical and mental health consultations that require a compassionate and considerate personality to build relationships of trust in a supportive environment. Your skills and support will also be needed with data collection and entry. Your ability to respect and represent Médecins Sans Frontières' values, while showing empathy and maintaining complete medical confidentiality are vital for this role.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Minimum 2+ years experience as a translator, cultural mediator or health promoter
- Experience in migration/ refugee contexts
- Minimum year 12 certificate or equivalent
- English language level of 5.5 or higher under IELTS or B2 under CEFR
- Have Fluency (C2 or native speaker) in at least one of the following languages: Farsi and/or Arabic (Note: we have HIGH needs for Farsi speakers)
- Be an Australian or New Zealand permanent resident/citizen
- Available and able to travel and work overseas for 6+ months
- A degree in translation or other qualification/certificate
- Experience working in health, social work, mental health or resettlement support roles for migrant, refugee and asylum seeker communities is an asset
- Other languages may be an asset
READY TO APPLY
If you are ready to apply you can start an application using the link below. Allow approximately 1 hour and please have ready your CV and motivation letter.
If you’re not yet ready to apply, use the link below to register to receive updates from our Field Human Resources team including information on upcoming recruitment events.