PAEDIATRICIANS AND DOCTORS WITH PAEDIATRIC EXPERIENCE
As a paediatric doctor working for Médecins Sans Frontières you may be responding to a measles or meningitis epidemic, managing hospital based care for severely ill neonates, responding to the needs of ill, injured, or malnourished children, or working with displaced families in a refugee camp.
Your clinical skills and resourcefulness will be put to the test while you work in locations where the health care infrastructure may have completely fallen apart, or while you work to diagnose and treat medical conditions not found in Australia and New Zealand. Your managerial and administration skills will be called upon as you supervise and train large teams of local staff. You will not be facing these challenges alone - Médecins Sans Frontières provides expert technical support including extensive guidelines and protocols.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Minimum of five years experience post-qualification, ie have started PGY6
- Minimum of three years of clinical experience in Paediatrics*
- Available to work in the field for 6 - 9+ months (Candidates with 9+ months availability will be prioritised)
- Availability to work in the field for 9+ months
- Additional clinical experience in areas such as Obstetrics/Gynaecology, Nutrition, Emergency, Infectious Diseases (STDs, HIV/AIDS, TB), Public Health, General Medicine, Anaesthetics, ICU or Minor Surgery
- Post graduate study in international public health, refugee health, infectious diseases (especially TB and HIV/AIDS) or tropical medicine
* Completion of your specialty training is not mandatory before applying, however Médecins Sans Frontières does have significant needs for fully qualified paediatricians.
All Australian and New Zealand field worker applications are processed through our Sydney office.
Ready to apply
The nature of our work means that emergency doctors with paediatric experience are often needed in very challenging, potentially high security contexts. If you are an emergency paediatric doctor, please keep this in mind.