No matter where and what work you do in the field, you will have the opportunity to develop your professional and personal capacities in ways in which you would not have imagined.
Length of Mission
A typical field placement lasts 6 to 12 months. All field workers need time to become acclimated to the work and the environment in order to assume a significant level of responsibility within the project, as well as to provide continuity for the benefit of both our national staff and patients. A placement may be of shorter duration for emergencies or for needs driven by particular circumstances, for example surgeons, obstetricians-gynecologists and anaesthetists can be exempt from this requirement due to the nature of their on-call responsibilities when in-field. Some field projects are launched in response to sudden crises, whether natural or otherwise, requiring the participation of field workers who are available on short notice and for shorter duration.
Types of Commitment
Many fieldworkers enjoy the flexibility of being able to undertake missions during different periods in their careers or as personal circumstances permit. Others determine that working with Médecins Sans Frontières is a way of life suited to their values and career aspirations over the long term. Our fieldworkers have a dedicated Human Resources Officer who works with them to develop a career path. Our organisation offers a vast array of long term career options with increasing responsibility, scope, and complexity over time and the opportunity to have an impact on the strategic direction of the organisation at the management level.
Following the first placement, dependent on the type of commitment a fieldworker may wish to make and operational needs, there are a variety of contract types available to best suit the needs of both the individual and the organisation. These range from single placement contracts, to on-going 'vocationer' contracts.
Learning and Development
Médecins Sans Frontières is committed to the ongoing professional development of our field workers. We provide them with access to various types of training that build the skills and knowledge required to be effective in the field. This ensures that as an organisation we can respond to the most urgent and critical needs of the people we help around the globe, people who often require scarce and highly specialized types of expertise from medical and support professionals. Training programs can range from language training, to sophisticated medical treatments and protocols, to management and leadership best practices, and a host of other possibilities relevant to the professional background and career aspirations of each individual.
Salary and Benefits
Fieldworker salaries are set so as to reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism while recognizing the high level of professional expertise provided by field staff. Starting gross monthly salary is approximately A$1787. Following the first year in-field, all fieldworker salaries are subject to subsequent increases based on expertise, experience, and increasing levels of responsibility.
- Four day pre-departure 'Welcome Days' course in Sydney (travel & accommodation provided)
- Reimbursement of required vaccinations
- Required visas and work permits
- Accommodation and transportation in Sydney and Europe for required briefings and debriefings
- Monthly salary starting from approx. A$1787
- Salary increase after 12 months in-field, and at regular intervals thereafter reflecting professional expertise, previous experience, and increasing levels of responsibility.
- Paid vacation (25 days per year)
- Superannuation contributions for Australian residents. New Zealand residents will receive the equivalent amount as additional salary.
- Daily per diem in local currency, paid while in the field
- Accommodation while in the field
- Round-trip transportation to the field
- Medical, disability and life insurance coverage
- Medical evacuation coverage
- Medical/professional indemnity (for health profiles)
- Luggage insurance
- Psychosocial support post-placement
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program