- You are here:
- Médecins Sans Frontières Australia
- Join our team
- Who we need
- Obstetricians / Gynaecologists
Obstetricians / Gynaecologists
As an OB/GYN with Médecins Sans Frontières you will work in one of our many projects focusing on reproductive health. The OB/GYN works in close collaboration with both international and national staff, notably with the head charge midwife. You can expect to perform both emergency and planned OB/GYN surgery, manage obstetric complications such as instrumental assisted deliveries, manage post-operative follow-up in conjunction with an anaesthetist, and train and support both surgical and midwifery staff. Your clinical skills and resourcefulness will be put to the test primarily because the health care infrastructure in the locations we work may have fallen apart. As the key referent for obstetric complications, you may be on call 24/7 for the duration of your placement.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Fellow of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (or equivalent)
- Current or recent practical experience with an emphasis on obstetric practice (as opposed to gynaecology)
- Willingness to provide care in line with Médecins Sans Frontières policy and protocols for women's health
- Available to work infield for a minimum of 6 weeks
- Competency with ultrasonography equipment (available in some locations)
- Willingness to commit for up to 6 months; several projects involve a significant training and skills transfer component therefore some longer placements are available.
Obstetrician/Gynaecologists must submit a Skills Assessment Table in addition to the standard application requirements. You can download the form here.