- You are here:
- Médecins Sans Frontières Australia
- Join our team
- Who we need
- Mental Health Specialists
Mental Health Specialists
Where we are working
Tue 30th Sep, 7pm, AMREP Education Centre, Seminar Room, Alfred Hospital, 55 Commercial Road, Melbourne
Join us for a live webinar and Q&A with our recruitment staff and experienced field workers as we discuss what Aid Without Agenda means. We will explore real-world scenarios where our principles of neutrality, impartiality,...
Our mental health specialists work in both emergency and longer-term program contexts. Different program contexts require different skill sets. You may work with victims of sexual violence or support people suffering from the consequences of conflict or a natural disaster. You may coordinate a support program for people living with HIV/AIDS and/or TB.
Your capacity to recruit and train local mental health workers, and adapt tools to local cultural needs/contexts will be important.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Post graduate qualification (Masters or comparable level) in Clinical Psychology, Psychiatric Nursing, Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Clinical Social Work or Medicine plus specialisation in Psychiatry
- Minimum 2 years clinical experience (post qualification; internships not included) in a multi-disciplinary setting treating patients with psychotherapeutic and/or counselling methods
- Experience with a range of psychotherapeutic methods/approaches such as systemic, cognitive-behavioural, psycho-dynamic, client centred
- Experience in mental health issues associated with at least one of the following: trauma, post traumatic stress disorder, sexual violence, HIV/AIDS, TB or other chronic disease
- Experience in developing psycho-educational tools and/or ‘train the trainer’ courses/tools
- Available to work infield for a minimum of 9 months
- Competent to diagnose and treat psychiatric patients according to best practice (within limitations of candidate’s specific profession)
- Experience with traumatized migrants, internally displaced people and/or refugees
- Experience with short-term therapy
- Experience across the full scope of mental health care provision for adults, adolescents, children
- Experience with individual, family and group counselling
- Experience in community-based psycho-social or trauma focused programs
- Experience in adapting recognised and accepted therapeutic techniques in consideration of local cultural contexts
- Experience with adherence counselling and/or patient education for chronic diseases
NOTE/ Mental Health applicants must complete a questionnaire in addition to the standard application requirements. Candidates' CV and questionnaire will be reviewed & validated by an MSF Mental Health Technical Advisor prior to an interview being offered.
Download the questionnaire here.