Who we need
We are always looking for competent people who are willing to live and work within an international team, share their skills and dedicate their time to support our medical humanitarian work around
There is continued demand for field workers from a range of backgrounds. Currently we have a particular need for Pharmacists, Doctors with experience in HIV or TB, Anaesthetists, Surgeons and Obstetrician/Gynaecologists (females in particular, due to the religious and cultural contexts we work in). Check the profession-specific requirements and if this is you, we'd love to hear from you.
OVERSEAS FIELD WORK
Every year Médecins Sans Frontières sends around 3,000 international field workers to work alongside 22,000 national staff in countries around the world. There they work together to bring emergency medical assistance to the people who need it most and may otherwise have no access to even the most basic life-saving health services.
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA FOR ALL POTENTIAL FIELD WORKERS
- Understanding of and commitment to the Charter of Médecins Sans Frontières
- Demonstrable knowledge of Médecins Sans Frontières' work around the world, and the humanitarian sector in general
- Minimum two years of professional experience post-qualification
- Significant experience in supervising, training and managing others
- Demonstrated ability to work well as a part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to organise, prioritise workload and use initiative
- Willingness to work in potentially unstable environments
- Relevant international travel experience and/or work experience in less developed, resource-poor, indigenous or isolated contexts
- Ability to cope with stress
- Available to work in the field for a minimum of nine months (exceptions for some profiles; refer to your specific profession)
People with a medical background also require current and valid registration with the appropriate board/authority, and must display no recent gap in clinical experience greater than two years.
- Intermediate or better competencies in speaking French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian or other field-relevant languages
- Interest and/or experience in international humanitarian issues, international relations, anthropology
- Previous field experience in a similar role with a non-government organisation
As an emergency medical organisation, we are reliant on people with medical backgrounds. However supporting our medical teams are professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds, all of whom contribute in their own unique way. Regardless of whether your professional background is in medicine, engineering, management, humanitarian work or something totally different, what matters most is that you have the right attitude and approach, that you can hit the ground running and that you have the necessary skills to help us deliver medical assistance to the people who need it most.
OTHER BACKGROUNDS & EXPERIENCES
- Logisticians- experience in areas including:
- electronics and/or electricity
- water and sanitation
- procurement & supply management
- event and/or project management
- ICT (information, communications, technology)
- Administration / Finance / Human Resources - experience gained in areas such as:
- business and/or general management
- financial or human resources management
- event and/or project management
- marketing, fundraising, journalism
- Experienced Coordinators
Live Recruitment Information Webinars
Ideal for people who cannot attend our recruitment information evenings in person, Médecins Sans Frontières Australia hold live recruitment information webinars. more.